Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Flippy-Floppies

So, it is snowing and sleeting, and Mr. Rocks and I decided to head home early before our mountainous roads turn into an icy nightmare.  I finally heard back from the Sunset Grille folks - apparently the lady had some personal issues to deal with, but promised me a quote by the end of the week.  So we are going to hold off making a venue decision until we hear from her. 

(I am also waiting to hear about a certain Greek wedding date - hint, hint BM NZ!!)


In the meantime, lets talk for a minute about footwear.  No, not mine.  And yes, I concede the point that wearing chacos with my wedding dress might not be the best fashion decision ever.  But I am talking about everyone else's tootsies.  Or at least the girls.  So, to get from the parking lot to our ceremony site (the bridge), everyone has to walk on a trail.  And it is not a paved trail.  It is dirt.  With shells.  And rocks.  Aaand I am guessing most of the (female) guests will be wearing some sort of lovely, fashionable heel.   So, I have decided to give everyone a choice of flip-flops on the big day.  The plan is to have a bunch of flip flops in a bunch of sizes in a pretty basket near the start of the trail for anyone that wants a pair. (Probably with a volunteer and a pretty sign.)  And if there are any left after the ceremony, we will bring them to the reception for people to dance in.  Make sense?  They should look something like this...
(Photo from 7SEVENJ9)

So, the buzz from the wedding boards is that most people get Old Navy shoes when they gone on sale, one day in late May.  Normally Old Navy flops are $3.50 (ish) and during the sale, they are $1 a piece.  Old Navy Flops are pretty comfy, and they come in just about every color under the sun, so the possibilities are endless.  BUT, there are a few problems here.  First, well, we just don't have wedding colors.  Yet.  Maybe we never will.  And I use "we" lightly. Cuz Mr. Rocks pretty much does not care about color.  And second (and this is the biggie) we really can't afford the full price Old Navy's.  And everyone is limited to 5 flops during the sale. So I would have to coordinate with a bunch of willing people (yep, I am looking at YOU) and we would all have to fight the crowds.   There has to be a better way.....


And then I found this site, where they sell bulk flops at discount prices.  Here is a bamboo pair I found for only $1.08 a pair.  The catch?  I have to buy at least 50.  
(photo from Dollardays.com)
But I was planning on buying 50-ish.  I mean, if we are expecting ~100 people, about 1/2 of them will most likely be women, right?  So buying 50 is not that big of a deal.  And the 50-pack comes in a variety of sizes.  Another thing....I have no idea how comfortable these guys are.  And the colors are just called "assorted."  I like the 2 colors that are shown, and I guess the main color would be tan, but still.....

On the plus side, they are made from bamboo, which is (a bit) greener than rubber.  On the minus side, they are probably made in China.  Which does not help our economy at all.  But we are poor, and while it would be nice, we really can't afford a pair of Toms for everyone.  So what do you think?  Know of any other cheap flip-flop sellers?  I am all ears!







3 comments:

  1. Really like the idea, but you can always just tell people to bring their own flip flops. That way you save the money and they can be assured to fit and match the outfit :-) Although personally I enjoy walking on challenging terrains in heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank god that you have finally admitted that chacos are NOT the right footwear under a wedding dress!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say get cheaper ones. ITs way more convient and you're doing a lot for the economy by having a wedding as it is.
    PS... yes, thanks the Lord that you have finally realized that chacos are not an acceptable form of wedding shoe.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete