Friday, February 18, 2011

I have no (absolutely 0) fashion sense!

Which is unfortunate!  Mom Rocks only had enough fashion sense to pass down to 1 daughter, and unfortunately, it all went to MOH Rocks.  (Sorry BM Lil Dude...you are just as bad as me!)  But it is all good, because where I lack in fashion sense, I more than make up for in friends (YOU!!) who are kind enough to keep me from looking like an idiot on really important occasions (like my wedding).  Case in point...I really thought it would be a good idea to wear  a pair of brand new Chacos under my wedding dress.  (I might still feel this way...)  But MOH and BM NZ and BM NZ's mum and several other folks have all assured me that would be a bad idea.
(Someone else in Chacos and a wedding dress.  From Spicetart.com)
See?  They work?  Right? Kinda hip, alternative?  No?  That would be good for a woodsy wedding but not the beachy wedding I am planning?  OK, OK, I trust you guys!!

I bring this up because several players in this grand party I am planning have brought up clothing in the past few weeks, so it is time I start to seriously thing about what we are going to wear.  Now, keep in mind I'd rather NOT think about this yet for the mere fact that I still have weight to lose before the wedding.  I would like to lose ~60 lbs before our wedding.  And I know some of the players are also planning on losing weight too.  (Not that I think any of you need to lose weight - I think you all look beautiful!!)  But lets face it, we just got through the holidays, and BM NZ and I recently finished our PhDs (a process that pretty much guarantees you gain at least 20 lbs), and BM Artista is the in process of becoming a certified shrink (again, another annoying, stressful process).  

But that is OK...we all have time to lose weight....the wedding is in June 2012.  So, it can happen.  I am planning on wearing Mom Rocks wedding dress....she was ~60 lbs lighter than I am right now when she got married (and a few inches shorter).  I can't change my height, but I can change my weight.  So, I don't want to take her dress to the seamstress to start slicing and dicing until I am closer to my weight goal...hopefully in September/October  Likewise, with the BM dresses, the dresses don't need to be ordered until later this year (I am thinking October-ish).  So, my point is, don't panic...yet.  We have time before we have to order the dresses.

Nonetheless, it is time to start thinking about the clothing.  For now, I am going to ignore the men, because the guys will wear pretty much whatever we tell them to wear.  So, I think it will be easier to figure out the girls first and then go back to the guys.  But, for a point of reference, the guys will be wearing khaki pants and a hawaiian/linen/guayabera shirt.  Probably patterned.  We just need to figure out if they will be wearing single colors/two-toned colors/multi-colors.  

But what will the girls wear?  I figure, we really have a few options here.  The first is to wear bright pink dresses, like the one BM Artista is modeling here in 198-something....
(Photo by BM Artista)

I mean, really, I was all set on this one!!  This totally fits in with the tropical theme of the wedding!!  (Kidding!  Sorry BM Artista, this was just too awesome to not pass on!!).

But on that note, the first option is just to re-use dresses we already have.  I want the dresses to be "blue" but I know MOH has like, a billion blue BM dresses.  So everyone gets a used dress, altered it to fit herself, and voila!  we all have cheap, and green (read: re-used) BM dresses.  The plus side is that this would be a greener option, and (more importantly) a cheaper option than buying a new dress

Option #2.... All BM's will buy a new dress and wear the same dress.  More expensive than option #1, but everyone would match.  And everyone would feel all sparkly and shiny in their new dresses.  When I was a BM, I enjoyed wearing a pretty new dress, and I have a feeling some of you might feel the same way (about wearing a spankin' new dress).  This is the "traditional" dress code for BM's...

 (Photo from fashion-dress-celeb.blogspot.com) 

Option #3 is having the BMs chose their own dress style, but all wear the same color....like this...
(Photo from wedding18idea.com)

I really like option #3 because it means that everyone can pick out a dress that fits their body type best.  Because out of my 5 BMs, y'all have totally different body types!  I also like the idea of everyone being the same color...it still brings that idea of solidarity to the BM crowd.

(By the way, the color of the dresses in that last photo is the color I am going for...marine blue dresses, but with bright orange boquets).

What do you guys think?  Really, I am open to suggestions!  If there is an "option #4" that I am have not thought of, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I like all of them. I'll be the one to follow along with others :) But a note on option #3, I think the dresses should all be similar lengths (like all long or all mid-shin/knee length). I dont like how it looks in the picture with the one long dress and the two short. It just doesnt flow right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Option 2 or 3 is fine with me. Although I agree with Carey that with 5 dresses they all need to be the same length, which could well end up with people choosing the same style anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like option 2 or 3. However, I think BM Li'l Dudette has a long dress in that blue color, so if we were doing O3, I think she could also sneak in the green option aswell. Anyways, I think I don't like the third picture because it looks like they're all going to a high school formal. And I don't know if that because of the style of dresses, the models, or what. I have seen David's Bridal advertisments with different lengths that didn't seem too out of sorts. Maybe if we stuck to mid calf and floorlength, it would look OK? Anyway, the only reason I bring this up is becasue I definitely want a floor length. But, I guess we can all fight it out later....

    ReplyDelete